Website Mississippi Aquarium
The position requires a dedicated individual who will take direction from the Dive Safety Officer, the Director of Facility Operations, and the VP of Facilities Operations in carrying out the duties of the position. The Dive Team Member assists the Dive Safety Officer with the planning, development and administration of all SCUBA diving programs which includes all water related activities requiring water entry, both in-house and in open water. Dive Safety, communications, animal health, equipment repair, record keeping, and visitor experience are the driving priorities in accomplishing the goals of this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As a member of the team, you will lead by example- being patient, kind, humble, respectful, selfless, forgiving, honest and committed when interacting with one another and guests.
- Under the Direction of the Dive Safety Officer, coordinate all dive operations, scheduling, meetings, activities, training, and development of the dive safety program.
- SCUBA dive all areas of the operation when needed as well as serve as primary backup for diving and safety.
- Work to upgrade consistency and dive professionalism quality of the team.
- Evaluate diver competency as needed and report findings to the Dive Safety Officer.
- Maintain both paper and electronic logs on all SCUBA activities.
- Maintain and repair SCUBA and diving related equipment, and maintain logs on equipment maintenance/repair.
- Carry out all procedures set forth in the Dive Safety Manual.
- Maintain forms and systems required for diving programs and equipment maintenance.
- Interface with other departmental representatives on diving related activities when required.
- Research and suggest upgrades, enhancements, and changes for the dive program to the Dive Safety Officer.
- At the direction of the Director of Facility Operations and Dive Safety Officer, interact with and respond to public/media requests for information. Participate in Aquarium related education, public relations, guest dive experience programs and membership programs.
- Cross train with other staff within the department.
- Maintain technical instrumentation at a high level of function and readiness.
- Help maintain inventory of dive equipment, safety equipment, and assist with ordering supplies.
- Keep work area clean and organized, and report mechanical failures to supervisor in a timely manner.
- Assist in collecting and other Animal Care department activities when needed.
- Administer all policies associated with the diving program in the absence of the Dive Safety Officer.
- Ability to lead training classes under the supervision of the Dive Safety Officer when necessary.
- Comply with safety and security directives, policies, and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Undertakes special projects as assigned by manager(s)
QUALIFICATIONS, REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Active Divemaster certification or higher from a recognized diver training organization and ability to obtain Instructor Certification and/or a minimum of 500 logged hours of Scuba Diving experience.
- Experience in coordinating and managing a diverse staff, or similar experience.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to evaluate divers for competency in all SCUBA related activities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of SCUBA equipment repair and upkeep. Technician rating for equipment preferred.
- Animal Care experience is suggested. This may be in the form of jobs or internships at public aquariums, work in aquarium hobby or aquaculture fields or extremely advanced home hobby activities.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team in a constantly changing environment as well as individually, with a minimum of supervision.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Experience with small boat operation and knowledge of boating safety issues is beneficial. Ability to drive small-medium size trucks and tow trailer is desired.
- Ability to travel when necessary, usually not to exceed four weeks at one time.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include evenings and/or weekends and holidays. Ability to respond to emergencies on an on call basis.
- Prior instructional experience in SCUBA or a related field preferred.
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Successful completion of pre-employment drug screening and SCUBA dive physical.
- In good health and capable of performing strenuous and/or heavy physical labor.
- No history of allergy related to animals or plants, which might interfere with ability to work.
- Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time, climb stairs, bend and stoop.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch, balance and agility of movement which might interfere with ability to work.
- Physical strength, including the ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Immunocompetence (possible exposure to infections and parasitic disease).
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Safety & Security – All Team Members are required to adhere to all Mississippi Aquarium safety and security standards.
- Attendance & Appearance – To maximize the guest’s experience, all Team Members are required to adhere to Mississippi Aquarium standard operating procedures regarding attendance and dress code policies as it relates to individual job functionality. Tattoos and piercings must be appropriate and in keeping with a professional image. Depending on the work area, management reserves the right to determine that tattoos will need to be covered during your shift.
- Sales & Guest Services – Our forward-thinking business model requires listening and understanding the needs of our guests both internal and external. To that end, we must always be focused on the guest experience which is the key driver for return guest visitation and increased sales.
- Team Partnership – All Team Members are focused on supporting each other to complete the guest experience. Therefore, supporting, facilitating, and participating in activities that promote team effectiveness is vital to our Organization.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color and peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To apply for this job please visit recruitingbypaycor.com.